ZENEO® is a needle-free, prefilled, single-use auto-injector
Nothing less than a revolution in auto-injection, the ZENEO® system is the fruit of twenty years of R&D by a multidisciplinary team. The system calls upon the miniaturization and association of front-line technologies originating from the automotive, pharmaceutical and space sectors.
ZENEO® is built on a foundation of 10,000 tests, 8 clinical studies, €80 million in investments and more than 400 patents.
The system consists of, a specifically formed, siliconized, depyrogenated, pharmaceutical glass tube (unique technique worldwide) that can support up to 1,200 bars of pressure, in contact with a polycarbonate nozzle with submillimeter conduits.
And of a nitrocellulose propellant-based gas generator with an actuator that includes an innovative unlocking and opening system. The actuator activates the generator and the resulting gas propels the pharmaceutical product at a very high speed..
The first phase allows the product to cross the skin and the second diffuses the treatment at the desired depth, all within 50 milliseconds !
ZENEO®: parameterization and adaptation
The greatest strength of ZENEO® is that it can be parameterized at the factory to adapt to the viscosity and the quantity of the contained fluid, and the desired depth of injection (subcutaneous or intramuscular).
In a validation study requested by the European Medicines Agency, ZENEO® demonstrated its ability to ensure correct intramuscular injection regardless of the amount of fat underneath the skin. Thus, ZENEO® is the only system to offer full performance regardless of patient morphology.
Also, ZENEO® eliminates phobias and handling errors associated with classic needle-based auto-injectors.
The ergonomics of ZENEO® (recognized by several international design awards), in addition with its prefilled, single-use nature, make it easy for patients to safely self-administer prescribed treatments, an advantage that can become vitally important in emergency situations. Crossject currently has eight treatments in advanced development, seven of which concern emergency situations:
- epileptic seizure (Midazolam)
- migraine and cluster headache (Sumatriptan)
- anaphylactic shock (Adrenaline)
- overdose (Naloxone)
- temporary paralysis in Parkinson's disease (Apomorphine)
- acute adrenal crisis (Hydrocortisone)
- acute form of asthma (Terbutaline)
The administration of a medication with ZENEO® involves two steps:
- Removal of the safety cap, which automatically breaks the sterility seal.
- Perpendicular placement of the device on the skin surface and a push; a click signal occurs once the injection is completed (in only 50 milliseconds).
What differentiates the product?
- Simplicity : a compact, ergonomic tool that can be used with one hand.
- Rapidity : injection in 50 millisecondes.
- Accuracy : the dose is predetermined and unchangeable and its full injection is guaranteed.
- Autonomy : the patient self-administers the right treatment at the right dose with maximum comfort and tolerance, and has no need for a doctor's appointment or medical intervention.
ERGONOMICS AND DESIGN AWARD RECEIVED BY ZENEO®